Karen L. Young, M.D.
- Associate Professor, College of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics
- General Pediatrics
- General Pediatrics
Email: YoungKaren@uams.edu Phone: 501-364-4363 Fax: 501-364-3404 Address: Arkansas Children's Hospital 1 Children's Way Little Rock, AR 72202
- A.S., Hillsborough Community College, 1976
- M.D., University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, 1988
- B.S., Magna Cum Laude, University of Arkansas at Little Rock, 1984
- Internship, Pediatrics, University of South Florida, 1988-1989
- Residency, Pediatrics, University of South Florida, 1989-1991
Licensure and Board Certification
- American Board of Medical Specialties, Pediatrics, Pediatrics
Clinical & Research Interests
- Clinical Research, Translational Research, Childhood obesity
- Fit for Residents Advisory Council, Academy of Pediatrics, Chapter 2 and Mattel Children's Hospital at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, 2008
- NACHRI FOCUS Group on Obesity, Physician Leader for Arkansas Children's Hospital, one of only 13 children's hospitals in the country chosen to be in this FOCUS Group, National Association of Children's Hospitals and Related Insititutions (NACHRI), 2008
- Leadership Breakfast, (invitation only), The Obesity Society, 2009
- Journal Article, Montgomery CO., Young KL., Austen M., Jo CH., Blasier RD., Ilyas M. Increased risk of Blount disease in obese children and adolescents with vitamin D deficiency. J Pediatr Orthop 2010 Dec; 30(8):879-82.
- Journal Article, Young K, Jones JG, Worthington T, Simpson P, Casey C. Forensic Laboratory Evidence in Sexually Abused Children and Adolescents. Archives Peds and Adol Med 2006; (160):585-588.
- Journal Article, Young K, Kokoska E, Simpson P, Peck KD, Goel R, Wheeler JG. Severe Obesity in Children and Adolescents: Implications for Treatment. The J Arkansas Med Soc 2005; 102(3):91-93.
- Journal Article, Young K. Treating Overweight Children and Adolescents in the Clinic. Clinical Pediatrics 2005; 44(8):647-654.
- Journal Article, Young K. Pediatric Overweight: A management guide for Arkansas medical providers. The J Ark Med Soc 2004; 100(9):306-307.
- Journal Article, Roberts GM, Wheeler JG, Tucker NC, Hackler C, Young K, Maples HD, Rauls SD, Darville T. Intervention Strategies for Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infected Children Poorly Adherent with Antiretroviral Therapy; Nonadherence as Medical Neglect. Pediatrics 2004; (114):e346-353.
- Journal Article, Young K, Cleveland ER. Pediatric Overweight: A management guide for Arkansas medical providers. J Ark Family Physician 2004; 7(2):16-20.
- Journal Article, Wheeler JG, Young K, Kahn A. Arkansas Clinicians' Guide to Weight Problems in Children and Adolescents. The J Ark Med Soc 2004; (101):80-81.