Mary E. Aitken, M.D., M.P.H.
- Professor, College of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics
- Professor, College of Public Health, Department of Health Policy & Management
- Section Chief, Center for Applied Research and Evaluation
- Center for Applied Research and Evaluation
- General Pediatrics
Email: AitkenMaryE@uams.edu Phone: 501-364-3300 Fax: 501-364-1552 Address: Arkansas Children's Hospital 1 Children's Way Little Rock, AR 72202
- B.A., University of North Carolina, 1983
- M.D., University of North Carolina, 1988
- M.P.H., University of Washington, 1996
- Fellowship, Pediatrics, University of Washington, 1994-1996
- Residency, Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins Hospital, 1989-1991
- Internship, Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins Hospital, 1988-1989
Licensure and Board Certification
- American Board of Medical Specialties, Pediatrics, Pediatrics
Clinical & Research Interests
- Translational Research, Outcomes Research, Education Research, Pediatric injury prevention, community-based health promotion, advocacy
- Executive Committee (elected position), American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Injury and Poisoning Prevention, 2007
- Fellow Achievement Award, Arkansas Chapter, American Academy of Pediatrics, 2008
- Paul Harris Fellow Award, Rotary International, 2009
- Gil Buchanan MD Excellence in Child Advocacy and Community Service Award, Arkansas Chapter, American Academy of Pediatrics Foundation, 2009
- Outstanding Woman Faculty of the Year Award, UAMS Women's Faculty Development Caucus, 2010
- Outstanding Woman Faculty of the Year, UAMS Women's Faculty Development Caucus, 2010
- Alpha Omega Alpha Member, Alpha Omega Alpha, Arkansas Chapter, 2011
- Drs. Joanna & Robert Siebert Award for Teambuilding, Arkansas Children's Hospital, 2012
- UAMS Phenomenal Woman, UAMS and United States Women's History Month, 2013
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Council on Injury, Violence, and Poison Prevention Fellow Achievement Award, American Academy of Pediatrics, 2015
- Journal Article, Smith S., Zhu X., Aitken M. Injury-related infant deaths: a state analysis of a public health, health care, policy network. Front Public Health Serv Sys Res 2016
- Journal Article, Aitken ME., Mullins SM., House T., Sutton AJ., Swearingen C. Video simulation changes parental perception of ATV safety for children. Injury Prevention 2016 February;
- Journal Article, Gielen A., McDonald E., Omaki E., Shields W., Case J., Aitken ME. A smart phone app to communicate child passenger safety: an application of theory to practice. Health Education Research 2015 October; (5):683-692.
- Journal Article, Aitken ME., Miller BK., Anderson BL., Swearingen CJ., Monroe KW., et al. Promoting use of booster seats in rural areas through community sports programs. J Rural Health 2013 August ; 1:s70-s78.
- Journal Article, Adams LE., Aitken ME., Mullins SH., Graham J. Barriers and facilitators to all-terrian vehicle helmet use. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2013 October; 4(Suppl 3):S296-300.
- Journal Article, Bowman SM., Aitken ME., Robbins JM. Trends in US pediatric drowninng hospitalizations, 1993-2008. Pediatrics 2012 (2):1-7.
- Journal Article, Huskins WC., Sullivan CD., Wang J., Aitken ME., et al. Tracking the impact of the National Institutes of Health Clinical and Translational Science Awards on child health research: developing and evaluating a measurement strategy. Pediatric Research 2012
- Journal Article, Helmkamp J., Aitken ME., Graham J., Campbell CR. State-specific ATV-related fatality rates: an update for the new millennium. Public Health Reports 2012 127:364-374.
- Journal Article, Brann M., Mullins SM., Miller BK., Eoff S., Graham J., Aitken ME. Making the message meaningful: A qualitative evaluation of media promoting all-terrain vehicle safety. Injury Prevention 2011 November;
- Journal Article, Bowman SM., Aitken M., Maham SA., Sharar S. Trends in hospitalizations associated with paediatric burns. Inj Prev 2011 June; 17(3):166-70.
Recent Grant Awards
- ABI Recruitment Package - SAF money, ACHRI, 2007-04-01 00:00:00-2017-06-30 00:00:00
- Generations in Families Talking Safe Sleep (GIFTSS), NIH, 1R01HD076702-01A1, 2014-07-14 00:00:00-2019-04-30 00:00:00
- Generations in Families Talking Safe Sleep (GIFTSS), NIH, 5R01HD076702-02, 2015-05-01 00:00:00-2019-04-30 00:00:00
- Generations in Families Talking Safe Sleep (GIFTSS), NIH, 5R01HD076702-03, 2016-05-01 00:00:00-2019-04-30 00:00:00