Kartik Shankar, Ph.D.
- Associate Professor, College of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics
- Developmental Nutrition
- Basic Scientist
Email: ShankarKartik@uams.edu Phone: 501-364-2847 Fax: 501-364-3161 Address: Arkansas Children's Nutrition Center 15 Children's Way Little Rock, AR 72202
- Ph.D., University of Louisiana - Monroe, 2003
- Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Mumbai, 1998
- Post-doctoral fellow, Nutrition and Toxicology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences / Arkansas Children's Nutrition Center, 2003-2005
Clinical & Research Interests
- Basic Science, Translational Research, Developmental Programming of Obesity, long-term consequences of maternal obesity during pregnancy, Diet composition and adipose tissue, Toxicology
- FASEB Summer Conference Poster Award, Obesity Energy Balance and Disease., FASEB Summer Conference, 2007
- Journal Article, U Wankhade., KM Thakali. Persistent influence of maternal obesity on offspring health: Mechanisms from animal models and clinical studies. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2016 S0303-7207:0232-0235.
- Journal Article, Krukowski RA,West D,DiCarlo M,Shankar K,Cleves MA,Tedford E,Andres A A Behavioral Intervention to Reduce Excessive Gestational Weight Gain. Matern Child Health J 2016 Jul 22.
- Journal Article, Panasevich MR,Morris EM,Chintapalli SV,Wankhade UD,Shankar K,Britton SL,Koch LG,Thyfault JP,Rector RS Gut microbiota are linked to increased susceptibility to hepatic steatosis in low-aerobic-capacity rats fed an acute high-fat diet. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 2016 Jul 1 311 (1): G166-79.
- Journal Article, Ruebel M,Shankar K,Gaddy D,Lindsey F,Badger T,Andres A Maternal obesity is associated with ovarian inflammation and upregulation of early growth response factor 1. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2016 Jul 1 311 (1): E269-77.
- Journal Article, Yeruva L,Spencer NE,Saraf MK,Hennings L,Bowlin AK,Cleves MA,Mercer K,Chintapalli SV,Shankar K,Rank RG,Badger TM,Ronis MJ Formula diet alters small intestine morphology, microbial abundance and reduces VE-cadherin and IL-10 expression in neonatal porcine model. BMC Gastroenterol 2016 16 40.
- Journal Article, Shankar K,Kang P,Zhong Y,Borengasser SJ,Wingfield C,Saben J,Gomez-Acevedo H,Thakali KM Transcriptomic and epigenomic landscapes during cell fusion in BeWo trophoblast cells. Placenta 2015 Dec 36 (12): 1342-51.
- Journal Article, Shankar K Reversing Fetal Undernutrition by Kick-Starting Early Growth. Endocrinology 2015 Sep 156 (9): 3059-62.
- Journal Article, Hinton PS,Shankar K,Eaton LM,Rector RS Obesity-related changes in bone structural and material properties in hyperphagic OLETF rats and protection by voluntary wheel running. Metabolism 2015 Aug 64 (8): 905-16.
- Journal Article, Ou X,Thakali KM,Shankar K,Andres A,Badger TM Maternal adiposity negatively influences infant brain white matter development. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2015 May 23 (5): 1047-54.
- Journal Article, Andres A,Hull HR,Shankar K,Casey PH,Cleves MA,Badger TM Longitudinal body composition of children born to mothers with normal weight, overweight, and obesity. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2015 Jun 23 (6): 1252-8.